Friday, January 1, 2010

Exploding Hands for the New Year


"Look what I got at work!"

A bowl full of mini cheeseball, crackers, and a champagne bottle party popper.

"And I'm giving it to you," he said, handing me the bowl.

Needless to say, the cheeseball was gone within seconds. But the popper...

"YOU do it," I said, handing it to him.

"What? Why?"

"I've never done it before."

"Well, that's why YOU should do it."

"But . . . but I'm scared."

"Of what?"

"I'm scared I'll explode my hand."

"You can't explode your hand, Amanda. It's impossible."

"Oh."

But I changed the topic anyway.

**FAST FORWARD TWELVE HOURS**

"Ten, Nine, Eight . . ."

We were at a New Year's party with friends, watching the countdown on the television while the host and hostess frantically passed out party favors in anticipation for 2010.

Their main favor of choice: champagne bottle poppers. They tossed me one.

"Seven, Six, Five . . ."

I gripped the string, ready to pull.

"Four, Three, Two, One, Happy New Year!!!!"

Poppers popped all around me. And, impressively, hands were kept in tact. So, boldly I pulled the string.

Fire. Lots of fire.

A burning sensation shot across my palm as a heap of colored string landed in my lap.

"Ow," I said quietly, and sent Tad an evil glare that went unnoticed.

I had succeeded in exploding my hand.

My flaw? I had ignorantly held the popper with the neck of the bottle pointed out and the base gripped tightly in my hand.

I now know that it is in fact the base of the bottle that blows off and NOT the top. Apparently, this is common knowledge. (Although I insist it makes absolutely no sense, considering that it is the cork of a champagne bottle that is most likely to go haywire).

Huff.

I told Tad what happened later when we were home. He shook his head at me. He may have laughed.

I continue to defy his reality.

2 comments:

  1. BAHAHAHAHAH! oh amanda this made my day!!! "A burning sensation shot across my palm as a heap of colored string landed in my lap.

    "Ow," I said quietly, and sent Tad an evil glare that went unnoticed.

    I had succeeded in exploding my hand."

    I dont know why but reading that line three times makes me just laugh out loud for at least 2 minutes. I giggle as I type this....Excellent amanda i could just picture your monotone "ow" lol oh dear excellent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just be thankful you weren't feeling silly and festive and a little daring, and opened it like a grenade with yout teeth. :)

    ReplyDelete