Friday, July 31, 2009

30 Days of {Blank}


In my daily perusal of all things mommy blogger, I stumbled upon this 30 Days of {Blank} idea at Room 704. It excited me.

Since college, I've taken a more front-seat approach at becoming who I want to be. Over the past three years, this has involved 'adopting' two girls (I sponsor a little girl from India and a little girl from Nicaragua), getting my health under control, fighting for what I want in a career, and so on and so on.

The result of this new mindset has completely changed who I am. I'm much more responsible, less forgetful, more structured, less spontaneous, more fulfilled, less scattered. While I miss some of my old traits, I believe wholeheartedly that this is who I need to be for now. And, when the time is right, they'll return (fingers crossed for the spontaneity).

While there are still many areas of my life that need tweaking, the one that has proved to be my arch nemesis--my Lex Luther, my Inspector Javert--has been finishing a novel. Not even the novel. Just a novel. Any novel.

I couldn't do it when I was 'promised' publication. I couldn't do it when there was a chance I needed it to graduate. And, I haven't been able to do it now that I'm on actual speaking terms with an agent.

So, my commitment for the next 30 days is to write every night. Any number of words. Any length of time. Just.Write.

I'll keep a running tally of words written here on the blog (probably published during my lunch break).

Hopefully, this is what I need to get this area of my life under control.


What about you? Anyone else willing to commit to 30 Days of {Blank}?

1 comment:

  1. here here! very insighful blog amanda! in order to fully be inside my disney career, i ned to write everyday just like you. My writing is still poor and believe it or not, 85% of my PR degree involves writing. So, I need to practice everyday. and in this area of my life, I also need to focus more on people and love them and my hobbies. and during this "30 days" im currently ceasing to worrying about who my friends are and if they are my friends. The friends i do have, I focus on them. if i still think and worry about whether they are my friend or not, (i will lose them period if i have this mind set) Also, Ive been focusing more on our youth ( i love children and ive been observing why they are so awesome. I also am trying new things out. Like books i havent read and Cds i never listened too. trying out new things useing my big heart and being nicer to those who are to me.

    ReplyDelete