Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sunday Musings: The Great American Novel

Tad surprised me with these books, the other day. He purchased them for 25 cents each from the Allen County Public Library. I almost had a heart attack.

Middlesex I read in 2006, during my senior year of college. Thousand I read sometime last year after being blown away by The Kite Runner.

Here, I am reenacting the span of emotions felt when reading one of Khaled Hosseini's books:




You can guarantee I will become a frequent patron of this used book section, my pockets bulging with quarters. Quarters!

This almost reminds me of the time Erin, Stephanie and I snagged some books from a library in Littleton, Colorado (I think it was Littleton . . . maybe Estes Park). We were under the impression that it was a "grab what you can" type thing, but after examining the stickers on the book covers, found out that it was a "take one, leave one" sort of thing. Oops. It's okay though. They can't possibly miss the 104 volumes we confiscated.

Besides, I thorougly enjoyed Susanna Clarke's masterpiece.

1 comment:

  1. you gotta grab and run because "book dealers" like to grab as much as they can and the libraries cant turn them home...so its kinda like not far i missed a ton of harry potter stuff and where the wild things are where all gone....my next blog i will decyphering a book i got a got for .25 cents too! stay tuned tonight at midnight

    ReplyDelete